- "Both homeroom and science teacher of 3-3, and just as much out of touch with his class as he is out of touch with reality. Probably born to be a teacher (no matter how much his students disagree), his greatest skill is the ability to ignore irrelevant things completely (no matter how much anyone who wishes he'd remember their names disagrees)."
- — Official Description
Akio Mutou (武藤 昭夫, Mutō Akio) is the science teacher at the Yamaku Academy and the homeroom teacher of Class 3-3 who is one of the few members of staff Hisao Nakai interacts with throughout the Katawa Shoujo visual novel.
Mutou generally has a laid-back personality, not being too harsh on his students during class. However he is quite attentive, always quick to glance toward any issue that might arise in class. He is also quick to give Misha a stern look whenever she begins to talk too loudly during lessons. Hisao Nakai comments on Mutou's lateness to class on more than one occasion. It is hinted that Mutou's relationship with Mr. Nomiya is slightly strained when he expresses his doubt about Mr. Nomiya providing art supplies to Misha.
Relation with Hisao Nakai Edit
Being a science teacher, Mutou grows fond of Hisao Nakai during the course of the game due to Hisao's proficiency in the sciences. Mutou considers Hisao his "star student" and he goes out of his way in order to help him. In multiple routes, he would talk to Hisao in private in order to try and convince him to pursue a post-high school education and ultimately a career in the sciences. In Emi Ibarazaki's route, he suggests to Hisao to create a science club as there were no science clubs currently active, to which Hisao accepts. He uses this science club to further the lectures and cover information beyond that of which is covered in his normal lectures. Once in a while, Mutou would impart some life-related wisdom to Hisao metaphorically using science.
- The name Akio means "bright, luminous" (昭) (aki) and "man, husband" (夫), "male" (男) or "hero, manly" (雄) (o).
- Akio's surname Mutou means "military, martial" (武) (mu) and "wisteria" (藤) (tou).
- Akio's design strongly influenced by David Tennant.
- Akio considers Hisao Nakai his "star student" who has interest in his academic future.
- Akio is noted to be late to class on a regular basis.
- One of the earliest pieces of Jigoro art shown on the Mishimmie shows Mutou at Jigoro's wedding. It's unknown if this is canon.
|Emi Ibarazaki • Shizune Hakamichi • Lilly Satou • Hanako Ikezawa • Rin Tezuka|
|Kenji Setou • Shiina "Misha" Mikado • Akio Mutou • Nurse • Yuuko Shirakawa • Akira Satou • Meiko Ibarazaki • Shinichi Nomiya • Hideaki Hakamichi • Jigoro Hakamichi|
|Sae Saionji • Mrs. Satou • Aoi • Keiko • Shopkeeper • Miki Miura • Iwanako • Saki Enomoto • Rika Katayama • Track Team Captain • Takashi Maeda • Molly Kapur • Taro Arai • Suzu Suzuki • Natsume Ooe • Naomi Inoue|